Monday, August 11, 2008

Road Trip

In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed not just endured.-Gordon B. Hinckley

The girls and I set out on a trip to Utah this morning. I was prepared to endure about a 10 hour trip alone with the girls. I wasn't even sure how I was going to use the restroom without another adult with me (I should have thought to bring a stroller for Madison, but it was just another thing to pack.) We started out early and left Grandma Lovejoy's in Denver at about 6:30. Sadly, I was the first to have to use the restroom, so after winding down the mountain about an hour we stopped at a gas station where I hoped they had a clean restroom. As I opened the van door, Hannah threw up the bag of cheesy sunchips she had chosen for her breakfast. I was almost ready to turn around and go back home. It would only be about an hour and a half back to Peter's parents and then I could make the 1 hour trip home whenever I wanted. After watching Hannah, Katie threw up the same breakfast. I wasn't sure I could make it all the way to Utah with that smell in the car. I decided to push on since it seemed like the windy roads, the quick change in altitude and the fact that the girls were watching a movie was the culprit of the first less than pleasant event of the trip. Hannah's excitement for the trip quickly faded and every 15 minutes she asked if we were almost there. She started to cry and say she wanted her dad. My prayer out loud while I was driving seemd to help a little and a few funny songs on a cd changed her gloomy spirits for a while. We stopped at a McDonalds playland for about an hour and then all the girls fell asleep for the following hour. Then we stopped at a park in Price, UT and made it to my Aunt Sherries around 5. It wasn't a bad trip since I was going it alone and we really wanted to support Grandma while she graduates this week! The girls had a great time playing with our cousin's dogs and swimming in the pool this evening. They really were angels once their feet hit the ground. The saddest part is that I don't think they will ever remember the trip, at least I don't have any memories at their age and I'll have noone to reminisce about the drive with.

5 comments:

I am Laura said...

That sounds awful. I am glad you kept on and made it. have a great trip.

nelsonjeneen said...

Oh Kim,
I am not looking forward to those days. I hope you have made it to SLC. Take care! Maybe we can see you on your visit.
Jill

Robin said...

You are WAY more positive than me! Good job! Enjoy your trip, and best wishes for the ride back home.

Kelly said...

KIM!! I saw you on Laura's blog! HOw the heck are you guys?! Your blog is adorable and the girls are sooooo cute, too!! It sounds like you made the move okay, huh?! Your house looks great!! Tell Peter and the girls hello for us!!
You can check us out if you want:
http://dkalcortman2007.blogspot.com
have a great day!!

The Hansens said...

Kim, I never would have thought to pray our loud, I will have to remember that. That Michelle must be a machine, I can't imagine you lagging behind anyone! I hope you have a good visit!!