Saturday, July 26, 2008

Peter's Passion

I noticed that Peter's notoriety on our blog is pretty nonexistent, so I thought I'd give everyone a glimpse into Peter's life right now. He is loving his job and I will spare you pictures of that. When he is not working, he is daydreaming about what our yard is going to look like when it is finished. The day the rocks were dropped off at our home, Peter called 5 times to ask how the yard was coming and to ask if I had seen the huge rocks that had been dropped off. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in the yard the first day. He is in love with the Rocks, which is a good thing because we have a lot of them in the yard. (Colorado is a desert and xeriscaping is a great way to conserve water. I couldn't give up grass completely, so at least 1/3 of the yard will have grass for the kids to play on.)
Originally we had planned on doing most of the work of installing our yard. Then we looked into it a little more and found out we would have to get a permit just to install a sprinkler system. (We were perfectly happy to put sprinklers on the lawn, but our HOA requires an installed system. Now we understand why that doesn't fly here. The people who don't have sprinkler systems don't water and their yards turn to dirt and weeds). After speaking with a landscaping company, it turned out the labor was the cheaper part of the landscaping. While Peter thought it would be really fulfilling to do the yard himself, I thought the few hours we had him home would be worth the price. We have had 5 guys working on the yard for 10 hours of the day for the past week and they will probably have about one more day of work left. Needless to say, I'm glad we paid for the work to be done. Otherwise we would probably not have a yard for at least another year.
We have spent a lot of time visiting stores to find plants to put in the yard. The plant part is something we wanted to do ourselves. We hit the plant season perfectly. Most stores are discounting their perrenials now so we have gotten most of our plants for 2 or 3 dollars. While I'd like to think I will get some say in the layout of the plants, I've pretty much given up hope on that. Peter's converted me to tall grasses. I used to hate them. They reminded me of these grasses we had when I was growing up. I thought they were ugly and they would cut your hands if you ran your fingers on them. Peter has a good eye for things like this and I am sure our yard is going to look great. I love that he has found a hobby to keep him busy and happy when he is not working. We'll post some pictures when our yard is finished. Right now we are waiting for the sod certificate that was suppose to be in the papers when we closed on our house.

Look at the size of that Rock!

2 comments:

John-David and Kathryn said...

Husbands just crack me up. I love it that Peter was excited about his rocks. John-Davids favorite activity is to walk through Home Depot and "Dream". You don't waste anytime. I am impressed that you already have two jobs and a running friend. You are going to be 80 and still running 5k's. Good for you.

Kristen said...

glad your yard is coming along! Congrats on your jobs too.